SIU Investigates Death at Ottawa Police Headquarters
Case Number: 14-OOD-225
Other News Releases Related to Case 14-OOD-225
Mississauga (29 September, 2014) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the death of 43-year-old Ottawa Police Service (OPS) Staff Sergeant Kalid Ghadban yesterday afternoon.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
- On Sunday, September 28, 2014, there was an incident at the OPS police station located at 474 Elgin Street, in Ottawa.
- Staff Sergeant Ghadban suffered serious injuries and was transported to hospital where he was later pronounced dead.
The SIU has assigned three investigators and one forensic investigator to probe the circumstances of this incident.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jasbir Dhillon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342