SIU Appealing for Witnesses in Hamilton Custody Injury
Case Number: 14-OCI-230
Mississauga (10 October, 2014) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is appealing for witnesses to an interaction involving a 36-year-old male and an off-duty officer with the Hamilton Police Service (HPS).
Preliminary information indicates the following:
- At approximately 4:00 p.m. on Wednesday, October 8, 2014, there was an interaction between the man and the off-duty officer in the parking lot of a Lowe’s store 1945 Barton Street, in Hamilton.
- The officer was assisted by two male civilians.
The SIU has assigned three investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident. Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1965 or at 1-800-787-8529 ext 1965. In particular, investigators are interested in speaking with the two men who assisted the off-duty officer during the arrest.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jasbir Dhillon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342