SIU Investigating Vehicle Collision in Brant County
Case Number: 14-PVD-232
Other News Releases Related to Case 14-PVD-232
Mississauga (11 October, 2014) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the injuries sustained by an 18-year-old woman in Brant County last night.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
- On Friday, October 10, 2014, officers with the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) Brant County detachment were conducting a RIDE program at Maple Avenue and Concession Road Eight, in Burford.
- At approximately 11:30 p.m, a Chevrolet pickup failed to stop for the RIDE program.
- OPP officers attempted to stop the pickup. The pickup did not stop and entered the City of Brantford where it was involved in a collision with a Mercury Marquis.
- The driver of the Mercury suffered serious injuries and was taken to Hamilton General Hospital for treatment. She remains in critical condition.
The SIU has assigned seven investigators, two forensic investigators and a collision reconstructionist to probe the circumstances of this incident. Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the SIU lead investigator at 416-622-2150 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 2150.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jasbir Dhillon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342