SIU Investigates Fatal Police Shooting in Oakville
Case Number: 14-OFD-241
Other News Releases Related to Case 14-OFD-241
Mississauga (17 October, 2014) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding a fatal police shooting in Oakville.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
- At approximately 5:30 a.m. on Friday, October 17, 2014 Halton Regional Police Service (HRPS) officers responded to a call at the Monte Carlo Inn located at 374 South Service Road East.
- There was an interaction between HRPS officers and a 41 year-old-man.
- An officer discharged his firearm and the man was struck.
- He was transported to Hamilton General Hospital where he was later pronounced dead.
Seven investigators and three forensic investigators have been assigned to investigate this incident. Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the Unit at 416-622-1965 or 1-800-787-8529 ext 1965.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jasbir Dhillon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342