SIU Appealing for Witnesses to Richmond Hill Incident
Case Number: 14-OOI-262
Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is appealing for witnesses to an incident in which an 84-year-old woman suffered a serious injury.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
- At approximately 12:00 p.m. on Monday, November 10th, 2014 the woman was standing on the southwest corner of Hwy 7 and South Park Road.
- An officer with the York Regional Police was standing at the same corner conducting speed radar for eastbound traffic.
- The officer flagged a speeding vehicle which stopped just east of the officer.
- As the officer went to speak with the driver of the flagged vehicle, the woman fell to the ground and suffered a serious injury.
- She was transported to hospital for treatment.
The SIU is appealing for anyone who may have witnessed this incident or who has any information in relation to the incident to contact the SIU at 1-800-787-8529 or the Lead Investigator at 416-641-1872.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342