SIU Investigating Man’s Death in Niagara-on-the-Lake
Case Number: 14-OCD-265
Other News Releases Related to Case 14-OCD-265
- At approximately 7:20p.m. on Monday, November 17, 2014, Niagara Regional Police Service (NRPS) responded to a call regarding a man acting erratically near Lake Ontario, in the area of Fire Route 10 and Lakeshore Road.
- Niagara Emergency Medical Services, the Canadian Coast Guard and the St Catharines Fire Department were also on the scene to assist.
- He was pulled from the water and attempts were made to resuscitate him.
- The man was later pronounced dead at hospital.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jasbir Dhillon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342