SIU Investigating Man’s Death in East Gwillimbury
Case Number: 14-OCD-267
Other News Releases Related to Case 14-OCD-267
Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the death of a 39-year-old man in East Gwillimbury last night.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
- At approximately 11:30 p.m. on Wednesday, November 19, 2014, York Regional Police (YRP) responded to a call regarding a domestic matter at a residence on Kennedy Road.
- On their arrival officers were informed that the man had left the residence.
- YRP located the man’s vehicle on Boag Road.
- A short time later a gunshot was heard.
- The man was pronounced dead at the scene.
The SIU has assigned four investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have information about this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-2038 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 2038.
The SIU is an independent civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342