SIU Investigating Custody Injuries in Toronto
Case Number: 14-TCI-289
Other News Releases Related to Case 14-TCI-289
- At approximately 11:10 a.m. on Tuesday, December 23, 2014, officers with the Toronto Police Service (TPS) responded to a call in relation to a reported break and enter at a residence on Binswood Avenue in Toronto.
- Upon their arrival the officers found a fire in the upstairs area of the residence.
- The man had collapsed and was removed from the residence by police and turned over to Emergency Medical Services.
- He was transported to Toronto East General Hospital for treatment.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jasbir Dhillon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342