Update: SIU Continues Investigation in Scarborough Shooting
Case Number: 14-TFD-291
Other News Releases Related to Case 14-TFD-291
- At approximately 12:16 a.m. officers with the Toronto Police Services responded to a 911 call at the Warden Subway Station regarding a reported robbery.
- Officers arrived at the scene and a short time later located a man matching the description of the alleged robber outside an address on Warden Ave.
- There was an interaction between the officers and the man. A firearm was discharged and the man was struck at least once.
- The man was pronounced dead at the scene.
- At this time, the SIU has designated one subject officer and two witness officers.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342