Update: SIU Continues Investigation in Scarborough Shooting
Case Number: 14-TFD-291
Other News Releases Related to Case 14-TFD-291
Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the shooting death of a 33-year-old man in Scarborough early this morning.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
- At approximately 12:16 a.m. officers with the Toronto Police Services responded to a 911 call at the Warden Subway Station regarding a reported robbery.
- Officers arrived at the scene and a short time later located a man matching the description of the alleged robber outside an address on Warden Ave.
- There was an interaction between the officers and the man. A firearm was discharged and the man was struck at least once.
- The man was pronounced dead at the scene.
- At this time, the SIU has designated one subject officer and two witness officers.
The SIU has assigned eight investigators and three forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of the incident.
Anyone who may have witnessed the incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529 extension 1957 or at 416-622-1957.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342