SIU Investigating Shooting Injuries in Toronto
Case Number: 15-TFI-006
Other News Releases Related to Case 15-TFI-006
Mississauga (7 January, 2015) --- Ontario's Special Investigations Unit is probing the circumstances surrounding the shooting injuries sustained by a 34-year-old man this morning in Toronto.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
- At approximately 8:30 a.m. on January 7, 2015, the Toronto Police Service was notified of an armed holdup in progress at 591 Sherbourne Street;
- Officers attended the area. A short time later, there was an interaction between officers and a man inside a Pharma Plus at 345 Bloor Street East. The man sustained gunshot wounds to the abdomen and leg;
- The individual has been taken to St. Michael’s Hospital for treatment.
The SIU has assigned six investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1898 or 1-800-787-8529 ext. 1898.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342