SIU Investigates Vehicle Injuries in Arthur Township
Case Number: 15-PVI-013
Other News Releases Related to Case 15-PVI-013
Mississauga (19 January, 2015) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the injuries sustained by two individuals in Arthur Township yesterday.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
- On Sunday, January 18, 2015, at approximately 2:30 p.m., The Ontario Provincial Police was notified that an individual had driven away from a Pioneer gas bar in Minto Township without paying for fuel;
- Officers located the vehicle and attempted to pull it over. The driver did not stop;
- A short time later, while traveling eastbound on Third Line, the vehicle left the road and rolled several times;
- The 31-year-old driver suffered back injuries. His 18-year-old passenger, who was ejected from the vehicle, sustained serious internal injuries. Both remain at the Hamilton General Hospital for treatment.
The SIU has assigned five investigators, two forensic investigators and a collision reconstructionist to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-2290 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 2290.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342