SIU Investigating Custody Injuries in Mississauga
Case Number: 15-OCI-015
Other News Releases Related to Case 15-OCI-015
Mississauga (22 January, 2015) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the custody injuries sustained by a 25-year-old man this afternoon in Mississauga.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 12:40 p.m. on Thursday, January 22, 2015, officers with Peel Regional Police arrested a male party and were transporting him to 12 Division.
• In the area of Mavis Road and Central Parkway Drive, Mississauga, the male party broke a cruiser window and jumped from the moving vehicle striking his head on the roadway.
• He was transported to Trillium Health Centre for treatment.
The SIU has assigned three investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1957 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1957.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Frank Kavcic, Frank.Kavcic@ontario.ca
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342