SIU Investigating Injuries Sustained by Man in Mississauga
Case Number: 15-OCI-031
Mississauga (17 February, 2015) --- Ontario's Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is continuing to probe the circumstances surrounding the injuries sustained by a 22-year-old man in Mississauga this weekend.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
- In the morning hours of February 14, 2015, officers with the Ontario Provincial Police attempted to stop a vehicle. At QEW and Dixie Road, that vehicle was involved in a three-car collision;
- A 22-year-old male fled the vehicle and was later located on Skyline Drive by the Peel Regional Police (PRP) canine unit;
- The man was arrested and subsequently taken to Trillium Health Centre for treatment of a shoulder injury.
The SIU has assigned three investigators and one forensic investigator to look into the interaction between PRP and the man. Due to the fact that no one sustained serious injuries as a result of the collision, the SIU is not investigating those events.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-2290 or 1-800-787-8529 ext. 2290.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342