SIU Investigating Shooting Death in Toronto
Case Number: 15-TFD-034
Other News Releases Related to Case 15-TFD-034
Mississauga (18 February, 2015) --- Ontario's Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the shooting death of a man this evening in Toronto.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 9:15 p.m. on February 18, 2015, the Toronto Police Service was notified of a male with a knife in the area of 140 Spadina Road;
• Officers attended the area. A short time later, there was an interaction between officers and a man, and he was shot;
• The individual was taken to St. Michael’s Hospital. He has been pronounced dead.
The SIU has assigned four investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-2150 or 1-800-787-8529 ext. 2150.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342