SIU Investigates Vehicle Injuries in Ottawa
Case Number: 15-OVI-035
Other News Releases Related to Case 15-OVI-035
Mississauga (19 February, 2015) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the injuries sustained by a 39-year-old man today in Ottawa.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• In the afternoon hours of Thursday, February 19, 2015, an officer with the Ottawa Police service attempted to stop a vehicle. When the vehicle did not stop, the officer followed it along Rideau Street;
• A short time later, the vehicle collided with a City of Ottawa transit bus at Rideau Street and Nicholas Street;
• The 39-year-old passenger in the vehicle sustained injuries and was taken to hospital for treatment.
The SIU has assigned four investigators, two forensic investigators and a collision reconstructionist to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the SIU at 1-800-787-8529.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342