SIU Investigates Shooting Death in Mississauga
Case Number: 15-OFD-046
Other News Releases Related to Case 15-OFD-046
Mississauga (21 March, 2015) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding a police-involved shooting that occurred in Mississauga last night.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
- On Friday, March 20, 2015, Peel Regional Police received a call for assistance at 3070 Queen Frederica Drive in Mississauga;
- Officers arrived at Unit 38 at approximately 10:40 p.m.;
- There was an interaction between police and a 30-year-old male, and he was shot multiple times. He was pronounced dead at the scene;
- Two officers and one civilian suffered non-life threatening injuries during the incident. As per the SIU mandate, the SIU is not investigating these injuries.
The SIU has assigned five investigators and three forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident. At this time, three subject officers and seven witness officers have been designated.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1935 or 1-800-787-8529 ext. 1935.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342