SIU Appealing for Witnesses to Toronto Incident
Case Number: 15-TCI-050
Mississauga (25 March, 2015) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit is appealing for witnesses to an interaction that occurred yesterday between a 21-year-old man and Toronto Police Service officers.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
- At approximately 5 p.m. on Tuesday, March 24, 2015, three officers – who were riding bicycles and wearing yellow jackets – interacted with a man at the southeast corner of Gerrard Avenue East and George Street;
- An altercation ensued and the man was arrested;
- He was taken to St. Michael’s Hospital for treatment of an arm injury.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529 or at 416-622-0748. Please quote case # 15-TCI-050.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342