SIU Investigating Death of Man in Peterborough
Case Number: 15-OCD-052
Other News Releases Related to Case 15-OCD-052
Mississauga (29 March, 2015) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the death of a 58-year-old man last night in Peterborough.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
- At approximately 4 p.m. on Saturday, March 28, 2015, officers with the Peterborough Police Service (PPS) were contacted about a man with a firearm;
- Officers were able to locate the man in his vehicle in the parking lot of a Walmart located at 1054 Chemong Road;
- Officers set up a command post and attempted to communicate with the man via bullhorn;
- At 8 p.m., a gunshot was heard from the man’s vehicle;
- PPS officers and Emergency Medical Services approached the vehicle where they found the man deceased.
The SIU has assigned three investigators and one forensic investigator to probe the circumstances of this incident. A post-mortem has been scheduled for tomorrow morning in Toronto.
Anyone who may have information about this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1898 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1898.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342