SIU Investigates Fatal Police Shooting in Peterborough
Case Number: 15-OFD-061
Other News Releases Related to Case 15-OFD-061
Mississauga (5 April, 2015) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the shooting death of a 23-year-old man last night in Peterborough.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
- On Saturday, April 4, 2015, after 11:30 p.m., officers with the Peterborough Police Service responded to a disturbance call at a Tim Horton’s restaurant located at 157 George Street North;
- A short time later, an officer located the man on Wolfe Street;
- There was an interaction between the officer and the man, and the man was shot. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
The SIU has assigned five investigators and three forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
At this time, one subject officer and four witness officers have been designated. A post-mortem examination is scheduled for Tuesday in Toronto.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1886 or 1-800-787-8529 ext. 1886.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342