SIU Appealing for Witnesses to Interaction in St. Catharines
Case Number: 15-OCI-054
Mississauga (10 April, 2015) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is appealing for witnesses to an interaction that occurred last month between a 21-year-old man and officers with the Niagara Regional Police Service.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
- In the early morning hours of Saturday March 7, 2015, around 1:30 a.m., a uniformed female officer from the Niagara Regional Police Service was driving in the Market Square parking lot in downtown St. Catharines;
- She drove up to a 21-year-old man who was on foot. The officer exited her cruiser and became involved in an interaction with the man. Other officers arrived. There was an altercation and the man was arrested;
- He was later taken to hospital for treatment of an injury.
The SIU has assigned three investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have information about this incident is asked to contact the SIU at (416) 622-0748 or 1-800-787-8529, and quote case # 15-OCI-054.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342