SIU Investigates Police Shooting in Toronto
Case Number: 15-TFI-072
Other News Releases Related to Case 15-TFI-072
Mississauga (16 April, 2015) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding a police shooting that occurred this evening on Elmhurst Drive in Toronto.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
- At approximately 6:15 p.m., officers with the Toronto Police Service were conducting an investigation of a vehicle on Elmhurst Drive near Islington Avenue and Rexdale Blvd.;
- There was an interaction between the occupants of the vehicle and police;
- A male party was shot by police and is being treated in hospital for non-life threatening injury.
Eight investigators and three forensic investigators have been assigned to investigate this incident.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the Unit at 416-622-0748 or 1-800-787-8529 Ext. 1872.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342