SIU Appealing for Witnesses to Incident in Toronto
Case Number: 15-TCI-085
Mississauga (7 May, 2015) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit is appealing for witnesses to an interaction that occurred yesterday evening between an 18-year-old man and Toronto Police Service officers.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
- At approximately 5:30 p.m. on Wednesday, May 6, 2015, Toronto Police Service officers were executing a search warrant at a 215 Markham Road apartment unit;
- As the officers approached the unit, the 18-year-old man fled from the residence;
- After officers caught up with him, there was an interaction and the man sustained a nose injury.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529 ext. 1965 or 416-622-1965.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342