SIU Investigates Custody Injury in Hamilton
Case Number: 15-OCI-089
Other News Releases Related to Case 15-OCI-089
The Hamilton Police reported the following information to the SIU:
- Police officers responded in regards to a 19 year old male with a knife causing damage inside a residence.
- There was an interaction between the man and the police.
- Two officers discharged controlled energy weapons (TASER) and the male was arrested. He was taken to hospital and is being treated for a broken jaw.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Lenard Shaw, Lenard.B.Shaw@ontario.ca
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342