SIU Appealing for Witnesses to Cornwall Incident
Case Number: 15-OCI-095
Other News Releases Related to Case 15-OCI-095
Mississauga (30 May, 2015) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is appealing for witnesses to an interaction that occurred earlier this month between a 43-year-old man and officers with the Cornwall Community Police Service.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 10 p.m. on Sunday, May 17, 2015, police officers went to the VIA Rail train station where they located a 43-year-old man in a building. The man was apprehended.
• The man was taken to the Cornwall Community Hospital where he was diagnosed with a rib fracture.
The SIU has assigned five investigators and one forensic investigator to probe the circumstances of this incident.
The SIU is urging anyone with information about this case to contact the Unit. The SIU believes a male was at this location at the time of the incident, and may have overheard and witnessed the altercation between officers and the man. The witness is described as a white male in his 40s. He is between 5'10-6' and has a medium build, shaved head and is clean shaven. He was wearing a dark coloured t-shirt and dark coloured shorts. Please contact the SIU at 1-800-787-8529 ext. 9022.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342