SIU Investigating Death in Peterborough
Case Number: 15-OCD-118
Other News Releases Related to Case 15-OCD-118
Mississauga (11 June, 2015) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the death of a 39-year-old man today in Peterborough.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
- The 39-year-old man, who was in custody of the Central East Correctional Centre, had been admitted to the Peterborough Regional Health Centre for medical reasons. An officer from the Peterborough Police Service and an officer from the OPP Peterborough Detachment were providing security;
- At approximately 1 a.m. on Thursday, June 11, 2015, the man became agitated. At the request of medical staff, he was restrained by the officers and by health professionals;
- Shortly after, the man went vital signs absent and was subsequently pronounced dead.
Four investigators and two forensic investigators have been assigned to investigate this incident. Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the Unit at 1-800-787-8529 Ext. 1988.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342