SIU Investigating Fatal Collision in Lavigne
Case Number: 15-OVD-120
Other News Releases Related to Case 15-OVD-120
Mississauga (17 June, 2015) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the death of a man last night in Lavigne.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
- At approximately 11:30 p.m. on Tuesday, June 16, 2015, West Nipissing Police received a call regarding a Jeep Cherokee being driven by a man. Officers were dispatched to locate the man;
- One officer saw the vehicle and attempted to follow it. He lost sight of the vehicle soon after;
- At approximately 11:45 p.m., an individual called police to report a vehicle had struck a tree at 10570 Hwy 64. It was engulfed in flames;
- The driver of the jeep succumbed to his injuries.
The SIU has assigned four investigators, two forensic investigators and one collision reconstructionist to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529 ext. 2150.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342