SIU Investigating Death in Kawartha Lakes
Case Number: 15-PCD-109
Other News Releases Related to Case 15-PCD-109
Mississauga (18 June, 2015) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is continuing to investigate the circumstances surrounding the death of a 62-year-old man earlier this month.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
- On Monday, June 1, 2015 a man was lodged in a cell at the Kawartha Lakes Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) detachment. At approximately 3:30 a.m., the man fell and was injured. He was taken to Ross Memorial Hospital for treatment and returned to the detachment a couple of hours later;
- The man was released unconditionally in the morning;
- On Tuesday, June 2, 2015, OPP learned that the man had been taken via EMS to Ross Memorial Hospital the day before, and he had died in hospital.
Three investigators and one forensic investigator have been assigned to investigate this incident. Six witness officers and one subject officer were designated. Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the Unit at 1-800-787-8529 Ext. 1806.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342