SIU Investigates Custody Injury in Scarborough
Case Number: 15-OCI-129
Other News Releases Related to Case 15-OCI-129
Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding a custody injury in Scarborough involving Durham Regional Police Service officers.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
· At approximately 12:01 a.m., two officers with the Durham Regional Police Service were conducting an investigation at 3171 Eglington Avenue East in Scarborough;
· Following his arrest, a 39 year old man fell from a balcony;
· The man was taken to hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
Four investigators and two forensic investigators a have been assigned to investigate this incident. Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the Unit at 416-622-0748 or 1-800-787-8529 Ext. 1886.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Lenard Shaw, Lenard.B.Shaw@ontario.ca
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342