SIU Investigates Death in Toronto
Case Number: 15-TCD-133
Other News Releases Related to Case 15-TCD-133
Mississauga (1 July, 2015) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding a man’s death in Toronto early this morning.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 1:45 a.m. on Wednesday, July 1, 2015, Toronto Police Service officers responded to Earnscliffe Road regarding a suspicious incident call;
• Police officers searched the area for a male, who was soon located on Oakwood Avenue. There was an interaction between officers and the man, and the man was handcuffed;
• The man went into medical distress and was taken to Sunnybrook Health Sciences. He was pronounced dead.
The SIU has assigned five investigators and three forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529 ext. 1873.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342