SIU Investigates Death in Markdale
Case Number: 15-PCD-134
Other News Releases Related to Case 15-PCD-134
Mississauga (1 July, 2015) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding a man’s death in Markdale early this morning.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 1:35 a.m. on Wednesday, July 1, 2015, Ontario Provincial Police officers responded to an address on Main Street West to assist paramedics as a male was in distress;
• After handcuffs were placed on the male, he went into medical distress;
• The man was placed in an ambulance and taken to the Markdale hospital where he was pronounced dead.
The SIU has assigned three investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529 ext. 0748.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342