SIU Investigates Custody Incident in Ottawa
Case Number: 15-OCD-130
Other News Releases Related to Case 15-OCD-130
Mississauga (26 June, 2015) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding a custody incident that occurred on Wednesday, June 24, 2015 in the City of Ottawa.
The Ottawa Police Service reported the following information to the SIU:
- Police officers were conducting an investigation near the intersection of Mann Avenue and Range Road at approximately 7:15 p.m.;
- A man entered the nearby Rideau River;
- Police officers went into the river to apprehend him but were unsuccessful.
Four investigators have been assigned to investigate this incident. Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the Unit at 416-622-0748 or 1-800-787-8529 Ext. 1925.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Lenard Shaw, Lenard.B.Shaw@ontario.ca
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342