SIU Investigating Injury Sustained in Toronto
Case Number: 15-TCI-136
Mississauga (2 July, 2015) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the injury sustained by a 19-year-old male early this morning in Toronto.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
- At approximately 4:30 a.m. on Thursday, July 2, 2015, officers with the Toronto Police Service began following a vehicle;
- A short time later, the vehicle crashed into a property at 1 Jesmond Avenue;
- After a search of the area, a man was located. He was arrested after an interaction with police;
- The man was taken to Toronto Western Hospital where he was diagnosed with a fracture to his arm.
Three investigators, two forensic investigators and one collision reconstructionist have been assigned to investigate this incident. Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the Unit at 1-800-787-8529 Ext. 1965.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342