SIU Investigating Shooting Death in Toronto
Case Number: 15-TFD-140
Other News Releases Related to Case 15-TFD-140
Mississauga (5 July, 2015) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the shooting death of a 45-year-old man early this morning in Toronto.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• Shortly after midnight on Sunday, July 5, 2015, officers with the Toronto Police Service attended an address on Gilbert Avenue after receiving a call;
• There was an interaction between the officers and a man, and one officer discharged his firearm;
• The man was pronounced dead at the scene at 12:26 a.m.
The SIU has assigned three investigators and three forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident. At this time, one subject officer and five witness officers have been designated.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529 ext. 1965.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342