SIU Investigating Shooting Death in Toronto
Case Number: 15-TFD-140
Other News Releases Related to Case 15-TFD-140
Mississauga (5 July, 2015) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the shooting death of a 45-year-old man early this morning in Toronto.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• Shortly after midnight on Sunday, July 5, 2015, officers with the Toronto Police Service attended an address on Gilbert Avenue after receiving a call;
• There was an interaction between the officers and a man, and one officer discharged his firearm;
• The man was pronounced dead at the scene at 12:26 a.m.
The SIU has assigned three investigators and three forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident. At this time, one subject officer and five witness officers have been designated.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529 ext. 1965.
The SIU is a civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or an allegation of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342