SIU Investigating Deaths in Vineland
Case Number: 15-OCD-142
Other News Releases Related to Case 15-OCD-142
Mississauga (6 July, 2015) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the deaths of two individuals last night in Vineland.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
- At approximately 8:35 p.m. on Sunday, July 5, 2015, officers with the Niagara Regional Police Service attended a residence on Epp Street after receiving a call;
- A short time after two officers entered the residence, there was a house fire;
- Two officers were injured as a result, and were transported to hospital for treatment of injuries;
- Firefighters entered the residence, and the bodies of a 73-year-old woman and a 50-year-old man were removed from the home.
Three investigators and two forensic investigators from the SIU have been assigned to investigate this incident. A postmortem is scheduled for tomorrow morning in Hamilton.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the Unit at 1-800-787-8529 Ext. 1873.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342