SIU Appealing for Witnesses to Guelph Incident
Case Number: 15-OCI-154
Other News Releases Related to Case 15-OCI-154
Mississauga (17 July, 2015) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is appealing for witnesses to an interaction that occurred earlier this week in Guelph between a 30-year-old man and officers with the Guelph Police Service.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
- At approximately 8:30 a.m. on Wednesday, July 15, 2015, Guelph Police Service officers were dispatched to the area of MacDonnell Street in regards to a naked 30-year-old man;
- After police located the man, there was an interaction between the man and officers;
- The man sustained a facial injury and was taken to Guelph General Hospital for treatment.
The SIU has assigned three investigators and one forensic investigator to probe the circumstances of this incident. One subject officer and four witness officers have been designated.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have witnessed the arrest to contact the Unit at 1-800-787-8529 ext. 2314.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342