SIU Investigating Shooting Death in Toronto
Case Number: 15-TFD-165
Other News Releases Related to Case 15-TFD-165
Mississauga (25 July, 2015) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the shooting death of a 21-year-old man early this morning in Toronto.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• Shortly after 2 a.m. on Saturday, July 25, 2015, officers with the Toronto Police Service approached a vehicle on Peter Street;
• There was an interaction between the officers and a man, and the man was shot;
• The man was taken to St. Michael’s Hospital for treatment, where he was pronounced dead at 3:59 a.m.
The SIU has assigned five investigators and four forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident. At this time, two subject officers have been designated.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529 ext. 1886.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342