SIU Appealing for Witnesses to Port Colborne Incident
Case Number: 15-OCI-166
(26 July, 2015) ---
Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is appealing for witnesses to an interaction that occurred early on July 25, 2015 in Port Colborne between a 37-year-old man and officers with the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) and Niagara Regional Police Service (NRPS).
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 2:25 a.m. on Saturday, July 25, 2015, OPP and NRPS officers were dispatched to the area of Moe’s Tap & Wings at 190 Main St. E. in Port Colborne in regards to a disturbance;
• There was an interaction between a man and police officers;
• The man sustained a facial injury and was taken to the Niagara Health System – St. Catharines site for treatment.
The SIU has assigned three investigators and one forensic investigator to probe the circumstances of this incident. Six witness officers from the NRPS and two witness officers from the OPP have been designated.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have witnessed the arrest to contact the Unit at 1-800-787-8529 ext. 1965.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Kaia Werbus, Kaia.Werbus@ontario.ca
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342