SIU Investigating Death of Man in Huron County
Case Number: 15-PCD-167
Other News Releases Related to Case 15-PCD-167
(26 July, 2015) ---
Ontario's Special Investigations Unit is probing the circumstances surrounding the death of a 52-year-old man in South Huron this weekend.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 2:30 a.m. on July 26, 2015, Ontario Provincial Police officers were in the area of “Gables in the Bend”, a restaurant/bar on Main Street in Grand Bend;
• An officer drove a 52-year-old man home from the establishment;
• The man went into medical distress and was pronounced dead at approximately 5:00 a.m.
The SIU has assigned four investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident. One subject officer and one witness officer from the Ontario Provincial Police have been designated.
A post-mortem examination will take place on Monday, July 27, 2015.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529 ext. 1988.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Kaia Werbus, Kaia.Werbus@ontario.ca
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342