SIU Investigating Injuries Sustained by 21-year-old-Woman in Brampton
Case Number: 15-OCI-175
Mississauga (7 August, 2015) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the injuries sustained by a 21-year-old woman on August 6, 2015, in Brampton.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 10:40 a.m., August 6, 2015, officers with the Peel Regional Police (PRP), responded to the Ken Whillans Park for a report of a woman in distress;
• The woman was located in a tree and as police approached she climbed higher;
• Over a period of hours a police negotiator talked with the distraught woman. As the police negotiator was coming down from the tree, the woman fell from a greater height and sustained injuries. She was taken to Sunnybrook Hospital for treatment of head and hip injuries.
Four investigators and one forensic investigator have been assigned to investigate this incident. Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the Unit at 1-800-787-8529.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Steven Gibbons, Steven.Gibbons@ontario.ca
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342