SIU Investigates Vehicle Injuries in Chippawa – Appealing for Witnesses
Case Number: 15-OVI-176
Other News Releases Related to Case 15-OVI-176
Mississauga (10 August, 2015) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the injuries sustained by 51-year-old Mr. David Taylor on Saturday, August, 8, 2015, in Chippawa.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• On Saturday, August 8, 2015, at approximately 2:00 p.m., an officer with the Niagara Regional Police Service (NRPS) was travelling southbound on Main Street in a marked cruiser.
• A motorcycle driven by Mr. Taylor was travelling northbound on Lyons Creek Road. At the T-intersection of Lyons Creek Road, Main Street and Sodom Road, the police cruiser and motorcycle collided.
• Mr. Taylor sustained an injury to his pelvis and was taken to the Greater Niagara General Hospital for treatment.
The SIU has assigned three investigators, two forensic investigators and a collision reconstructionist to probe the circumstances of this incident.
The SIU has designated one subject officer and four witness officers.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1935 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1935.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Steven Gibbons, Steven.Gibbons@ontario.ca
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342