SIU Investigating Death of 30-year-old Man in Toronto
Case Number: 15-TCD-229
Other News Releases Related to Case 15-TCD-229
Mississauga (2 October, 2015) --- Preliminary information indicates the following:
• In the early morning hours of October 2, 2015, officers with the Toronto Police Service (TPS), responded to an apartment building located at 2801 Jane Street as part of an ongoing investigation;
• The officers were allowed access to an apartment on the 16th floor by a woman;
• While they were speaking with the woman, a noise was heard from within the apartment. The officers went to investigate and upon looking over the balcony saw a body on the ground.
Four investigators and three forensic investigators have been assigned to investigate this incident. Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the Unit at 1-800-787-8529.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Steven Gibbons, Steven.Gibbons@ontario.ca
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342