SIU Investigates Shooting in Pelham
Case Number: 15-OFI-236
Other News Releases Related to Case 15-OFI-236
Mississauga (10 October, 2015) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding a shooting that occurred in Pelham this evening.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 8 p.m. on Saturday, October 10, 2015, police officers with the Niagara Regional Police Service responded to an address on Canboro Road;
• The officers located a man at that location;
• The man and two police officers suffered gunshot wounds and were taken to hospital.
Six investigators and three forensic investigators have been assigned to investigate this incident. Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the Unit at 416-622-0748 or 1-800-787-8529 Ext. 2290.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342