SIU Investigating Injuries Sustained by Man on QEW in Vineland
Case Number: 15-PVI-244
Other News Releases Related to Case 15-PVI-244
Mississauga (21 October, 2015) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the injuries sustained by a 35-year-old man yesterday evening in Vineland.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• Shortly after 7 p.m. on Tuesday, October 20, 2015, a vehicle was stopped on the right shoulder in the westbound lanes of the Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW), west of Victoria Avenue;
• An OPP officer traveling on the QEW in a cruiser saw the vehicle and pulled up behind the vehicle;
• Before the officer could get out of his vehicle, a man from the vehicle stepped in front of a passing transport truck;
• The man was taken to Hamilton General Hospital for treatment of serious injuries. He remains in hospital in critical condition.
The SIU has assigned four investigators, two forensic investigators and one collision reconstructionist to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529 ext. 9023.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342