SIU Investigates Custody Death in Kapuskasing
Case Number: 15-PCD-246
Other News Releases Related to Case 15-PCD-246
Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding a custody death that occurred on the evening of Saturday, October 24th in the Town of Kapuskasing.
The Ontario Provincial Police reported the following information to the SIU:
· A Police Officer was investigating a vehicle on Ballentyne Road south of Hwy 11.
· A man was located in the vehicle with what appeared to be a long barrelled weapon.
· Police secured the immediate area.
· At 8:30 am the man was found to have suffered a gunshot wound.
· The Coroner’s Office has been notified.
Four investigators and two forensic investigators have been assigned to investigate this incident. Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the Unit at 416-622-0748 or 1-800-787-8529 Ext. 2293.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Lenard Shaw, Lenard.B.Shaw@ontario.ca
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342