SIU Investigates Custody Injury in Barrie
Case Number: 15-OCI-268
Other News Releases Related to Case 15-OCI-268
Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding a custody injury that occurred Wednesday, November 11, 2015.
The Barrie Police Service reported the following information to the SIU:
· At approximately 8:40pm police observed a vehicle travelling at a high rate of speed and attempted to stop it.
· The vehicle became involved in a collison with another vehicle at the intersection of Anne Street North and Gibbon Drive.
· The driver fled the scene on foot. The driver of the other vehicle was not seriously injured.
· The fleeing driver climbed over a fence and fell to the ground on the other side. He was transported to hospital and treated for a head injury.
Three investigators, two forensic investigators and a collison reconstructionist have been assigned to investigate this incident. Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the Unit at 416-622-0748 or 1-800-787-8529 Ext. 2038
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Lenard Shaw, Lenard.B.Shaw@ontario.ca
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342