SIU Investigating Death of Man in Toronto
Case Number: 15-TCD-257
Other News Releases Related to Case 15-TCD-257
- On November 6, 2015, a few minutes after midnight, a 911 call was made;
- Toronto Police attended an apartment at 10 Dora Avenue, in the Bloor Street West and Lansdowne Avenue area;
- Inside the apartment, officers encountered a man;
- Emergency Task Force officers were called for assistance;
- During the interaction with the man, two conducted energy weapons (CEWs) were deployed;
- The man was transported to St. Joseph's Health Centre;
- On November 7, 2015, the man was pronounced dead.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342