SIU Investigating Death in Toronto
Case Number: 16-TOD-001
Other News Releases Related to Case 16-TOD-001
- About 2:00 a.m., Toronto Police started receiving phone calls from inside a house on Scarlett Road just south of Lawrence Avenue. The calls were for a possible intruder in the home.
- Officers attended and determined that no one had broken into the residence.
- Over the course of the morning, officers attended the scene more than once for similar reports.
- Around 11:00 a.m., a 32-year-old man was found inside the home. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jason Gennaro, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-641-1897 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 1897