SIU Investigation Started after Man Injured Following Scarborough Arrest
Case Number: 16-TCI-009
Other News Releases Related to Case 16-TCI-009
Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit has started an investigation after a 37-year-old man was injured following an arrest in Scarborough Monday.
Preliminary information suggests the following:
- Around 8:40 a.m. Monday morning, Toronto Police responded to a 911 call for a crime in progress.
- Officers attended a house on Kennedy Road, near Kingston Road and Highview Avenue.
- Outside the house, officers arrested a man. A conducted energy weapon was deployed.
- The man was later diagnosed with a facial injury.
The SIU has assigned three investigators and one forensic investigator as part of the investigation.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have witnessed the incident to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529 ext. 2314.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342