Assault and Failure to Provide Necessaries Charges Laid against Toronto Police Officer
Case Number: 15-TCI-278
- Shortly after 4:00 a.m. on October 31, 2015, a 47-year-old man drove his vehicle into a parking lot at 10 Gordonridge Place, near Danforth Road and Midland Avenue.
- Moments after, a police cruiser drove into the parking lot and stopped behind the man’s vehicle.
- There was an interaction between a police officer and the man.
- The officer left the scene.
- Sometime later, paramedics attended the area and took the man to Scarborough General Hospital.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342