SIU Investigating Serious Collision in Toronto
Case Number: 16-TVI-016
Other News Releases Related to Case 16-TVI-016
Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit is investigating the circumstances surrounding a serious collision that occurred at the intersection of Wilmington and Combe Avenues in Toronto.
Preliminary information suggests the following:
- Around 1:00 p.m. today, Toronto Police officers were verifying an address in the Sheppard Avenue and Dufferin Street area when they encountered a vehicle.
- The vehicle sped away from the marked police van.
- Officers in the van attempted to follow the vehicle.
- Moments later, the officers discovered a collision between a car and a truck at the intersection of Wilmington and Combe Avenues.
- Both drivers were transported to Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre. The truck driver suffered life threatening injuries. The driver of the other vehicle has a leg injury.
The SIU has assigned five investigators, two forensic investigators, and a traffic reconstructionist as part of the investigation.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have witnessed the incident to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529.
The SIU is an independent civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342